Sunday 14 October 2007

St Allen- 14th October 2007


A bit of a chilly misty damp start to the day with a slight drizzle all around.
St Allen was only about 25 minutes away from me, so a nice local little race, not much traveling, bloody hell, I’ll be home early then!

I was hoping to have a better result after last weeks disappointing show where it took me ages to ‘get into it’. Another thing, this was a 3 hour event, so with not that much riding in the last 6 weeks, this would be a good test of stamina for WESTON next week.

Upon signing on I talked to a few guys that explained the track was about 5 miles long, a mixture of woods and some fast sections across the grassy fields, but watch out, the off cambers were slippery due to the heavy morning dew.
Onto the sighting lap we went then, and true enough, parts of the course were a bit tricky, but nothing out of the ordinary. There were nice wooded sections with a couple of steep hills (up and down) mixed in about halfway round, and muggings here got stuck on one of them on the sighting lap, but I didn’t have any problems when racing.
Sighting laps? Good or bad? 50/50 I think. Good in a way that you know where you’re going before racing, but trouble is, no one is up to race pace, and when you come across a slippery or tricky part of the course, you haven’t really any momentum to get through it because there’s a big queue in front of ya!

Onto the start then, not that good, probably in the top ten but made up a few places over the first couple of laps, short laps as well, 8-9 mins, but a lot more enjoyable than last week due to the wooded sections and the dodgy off cambers.
I got into the race fairly quickly and felt I was going ok. After about an hour my rip’n’roll film ran out on my goggs, but with things drying up a bit I decided not to stop and wait a little bit longer until my pit stop for a change.
Had a few little ‘offs’ just down to the slippery grass really, but nothing at high speed so no damage done. I had a great battle with the young lad from Thor motorcycles (he must be 20 yrs younger than me!), we passed each other maybe 6-7 times all through the race and in the end I managed to get pass him with about 20 minutes to go and pull away and finish in front of him by about 2 mins, good little race between us that!
A nice little confidence builder for me today because now all roads lead to WESTON!

Finishing position: 4/28
Bike status: ok
Injuries: none