Sunday 20 April 2008

Hustyns- 20th April 2008



With Hustyns being just a mile up the road all I had to do was fall out of bed and I was there!
We were blessed with lovely weather so all was set for a good day and after ‘eyeing’ up the course over the last few weeks, I was really looking forward to it.
Now this being a timecard event I was due off at 10.10am, this being the first of the clubman and allocated with 6 laps each varying from 44 mins a lap down to 38mins for the last one, so all had to do was to try to stay on time!
Had a chat with a few riders parked next to me, everyone very friendly and a good atmosphere was evident.
So, at 10.10 preciously off we went in groups of 4, one of us being Dean Canfield who was quite a decent clubman rider, so I thought if I could hang to his shirt tail I’d be doing well. No bloody chance, he left me after about 10 mins and I didn’t see him again until the time check after the 1st lap! (This was the same on every lap).
The course was probably about 10 miles in length, with enough roots to wrap around the world twice over, some very tricky indeed (to which I later found out), a couple of small water crossings, fire roads, tight nadgery woods, a few off cambers (one of which was to be cut out later because it caused some carnage), some nice hills and a special test included about halfway round, so all in all a decent and testing course even with it being dry.
I personally think the first few miles were the hardest riding through the forest as it was just so so bumpy, in fact it was like trying to hold on to a fire breathing pogo stick if you dared to open her up on this section.
1st lap everything went smoothly although I only just made it back dead on time so I had to go straight back out again.
2nd lap and a chance to scare yourself silly as the special test came along. No problems with that and yet again I made it back to the check point dead on time, so back out again I went.
3rd lap, another scary test, that went ok as well and guess what? Back to the check point at the end of the lap again with no time to rest, so it was straight out again.
Ok, so now I’m thinking, hold on, if I can only just about stay on time how the hell am I going to refuel without losing time and collecting any time penaltys? I knew I had to push a bit harder so on my 4th lap (including another special test) I did, and made it back with 1 min to spare, phew! I quickly shouted to some guy in the pits to hand me my fuel can (cheers mate), i put some in and I was off back out again just making it to the check in time.
5th lap and I was starting to get a bit tired now although that’s not surprising as I haven’t raced that much this year and all those silly little things start creeping in like losing concentration and not picking your lines right. That’s exactly what happened when I managed to plant myself head first into a tree on that rooty, bumpy first section. It’s at this point in the race when you start talking to yourself don’t you? ‘what the hell did you do that for? concentrate Trev you twat’, or words to that effect! No damage done off I went again and no prizes for guessing as i made it back at the end of the lap dead on time.
5 laps gone and I’ve only had 1 minute to spare after some 3 hours riding, and with the last lap time set at the fastest, I knew I’d really struggle to stay on time. I had a choice, do I push and with being so knackerd risk keep coming off? Or do I carry on at the same pace and make it back in one piece? I choose the latter and keep my record up of finishing! (which is now 30 or more without a dnf).
I did lose about a minute on the last lap as I stupidly stalled the thing in the woods going all of 2mph and fell off with the bike landing on top of me. When your tired it’s seems 10 times harder trying to push a muddy enduro bike off your body!
I was relieved to finish about 2 mins overtime, but well pleased on how it all went for me and quite chuffed with my result today as it’s only my 2nd race in the clubman ranks.
While I was getting changed i seem to cramp up everywhere, fingers, toes, legs, stomach, that’s a bugger when that happens, I had a job getting the bike on the bloody trailer.
Talked to a few riders after who admitted it was tough going as well, although everyone enjoyed it.
The young lad Jed from Thor motorcycles came back and looked absolutely shattered, he was well overtime and found it hard too.
Thanks to Andy Smith for giving me a pillion up the hill from the pits at the end, saved a bloody walk did that.
Overall another enjoyable day.
Just one last thing, I think Mark Tucker should really slow down a bit as I believe he drives far too fast round the roads of Devon, Cornwall and Somerset because I think he’s beginning to frighten some people!



Finishing position: 8/16 (clubman 225)
Bike status: ok
Injuries: cut right hand