Wednesday 18 February 2009

Old injuries never die- 18th February 2009

And even if they do, they come back to haunt you!

I injured my right shoulder about a year and half ago when i had a tasty 'off'' when racing. It took a while to mend, but it did get better, and up until now it's been fine.
A couple of weeks ago while out practising, i fell on the same shoulder and jarred it, and thought nothing of it. It did give me a bit of pain before last weeks race, but nothing to worry about, so i again, i thought nothing of it.

After racing on sunday i felt the shoulder had got worse, and sunday evening was a 'bit of job' trying to get some kip. This week hasn't been good and at times it's been really painful and theres no way in the world that i'd be able to race with it. I can't even go running to keep up the fitness, because if i swing the shoulder at all, it kills me. In fact, several times this week i haven't even been able to lift a saucepan out of the cupboard. Mind you, thats not a bad thing because that means the girlfriend has to do all the cooking!

With the BEC round coming up this sunday and with 80-90 miles of riding to do, i had to go and see the doctor and basically do a 'cry for help'.
I explained about the British champs race coming up and could you please give me the strongest pain killers you've got to get me through it!
Luckily the doctor was as good as gold (must have been an off road fan) and prescribed me 2 different lots of tablets to take. With the paracetamol as well i'm taking, i'm on 9 to 10 tablets a day at the moment. Lets hope i don't addicted to them all!

The worrying thing is that with so much racing coming up for me, it's not going to get any rest and the 'doc' has advised me that i might have to have a steroid (cortisone) injection into the shoulder joint to heal it properly.

Looks like i'm going to have to take 'one race at a time' at the moment and hope for the best.