Sunday 29 March 2009

Combe sydenham- 29th March 2009



Oh dear, after putting my bike in the van and driving up to Bude to meet up with Adam Blake and Steve Jose to go to Combe Sydenham, I opened the van door when I arrived and looked in horror as a load of coolant had deposited itself onto the floor of the transit! (see pic)
It was peeing out faster than a Peter Lorimer shot (for those of you who don’t know who Peter Lorimer is, just google him). I mean, there’s only so much you can do at 7’o’clock on a Sunday morning as regards to working on the bike isn’t there? We all took a look at the offending radiator and basically there was nothing we could do, so regrettably I had to make the decision not to ride but to travel up anyway, watch the race and help a few riders out in the pits as well.

I know exactly where the problem came from with the bike. Yesterday (Saturday) I decided to straighten out the brackets on the rad due to having a few ‘offs’ which had bent them. After doing that and a few other bits and bobs, I put the bike away for the day all ready and prep’d for the race. Obviously the core of the rad been damaged in some way and with me bending things around a bit I managed to create a split somewhere along the line. Never mind, shouldn’t have so many ‘offs’ should I, then I wouldn’t bend anything!
Looks like I’ll need a new rad and I’m also getting some rad braces as well, that should stop um bending!

After getting to Combe sydenham surprisingly in one piece due to the fact that Steve was trying out how fast his ‘sprinter’ can go by ‘flooring’ it, we were greeted by a glorious sunny day, in fact it’s the driest I’ve seen the place in years!

With loads of time on my hands I had quick walk around to see who was about and basically turned myself into a right old ‘Hilda Ogden’ chatting to just about everybody I laid my eyes on due to the fact that I didn’t have to rush about getting ready for a race.
Now for the name dropping, chatted with Robert Ellick, Paul Ford (we chatted about ‘new borns’ and the lack of sleep you get when they arrive), yes Paul, I was there last year with that, know exactly how it feels mate!, Andy Smith, Phil Harris, Debbie Tucker, Jack Twentyman, Rich Tucker, Jason Duggan, Paul Cowshall, Pete Boyles, Matt Hamley, Mark Tucker, Arthur Johnson, probably a few others as well, but can’t remember everyone’s names!
Soon after the riders went up to start Andy Smith came ‘freewheeling’ it back down to the pit area where I was standing, ‘Trev, qick, my chains broke’, oh b*llocks as a blind panic ensued as we tried to get another chain for Andy. Luckily a youth rider who’d raced earlier in the day lent us one and once we fitted it, Andy got to race, albeit some 15mins late.

Enjoyed watching the riders come through as it were ‘being on the other side of the fence’, but there ain’t nothing like riding, and I was a wee bit jealous not being out there, but I suppose at least it did give me a chance to see some of my rivals going round.
A couple of laps in and Racersedge (Paul Cowshall) came crawling back with a rear wheel puncture, we both went running about all over the place to try and get a tube for him, but no luck there, so Paul called it a day and retired.

I helped quite a few riders pit at about half way, Jack (twentyman) being a champ rider was like a man possessed when he came into the pits! All I heard from him was, ‘quick, hurry up’ then it was ‘new goggles, put them on’, that was basically about it as I refuelled him. Mind you I can’t blame him, he was lying 4th at the time and only a couple of mins behind the leader so every second counts when you’re at that level.

Steve Jose came in to re-fuel and wanted a chat! I told him to get his arse in gear and stop talking and to get on with it. Next time I help him I’ll bring a picnic table, sandwiches, flask, and a portable dvd player so he can watch a film or two if he wants!
I didn’t venture too far away from the pit area all day just in case someone needed some help somewhere along the line, and that certainly was the case as I helped riders I didn’t even know sort a few things out. Perhaps I should join the Samaritans!

With a few minutes left on the clock Andy Smith came past the transponder area where I was standing, ‘come on, last lap’ I shouted, but his luck had finally run out as I looked down only to see that his back tyre had disintegrated and was hanging off the rim. Not Andy’s day then, first of all the chain, now his tyre.

Well, I did have a good day and was kept busy for most of it, so enjoyed it. Not as good as riding, but being where the action is and lending a hand is much better than standing there for 3 hours with your hands in your pockets playing ’marbles’!

Plans this month:
4th Practice
12th Surrey constabulary enduro
19th Camel Vale mcc
26th Track n Trail