Sunday 23 May 2010

Injury update- 23rd may 2010



Injury update
Is that a picture of some apparatus from the medieval times for the purpose of being used in the sadistic and ugly cruel world of torture? Course not, it’s what I have to use daily on my bloody arm to try and strengthen it and to eliminate ’Lateral Epicondylitis’ (that’s tennis elbow by the way). A 5lb club hammer attached to a nylon cord threaded through a broom handle, another hammer on it’s own, and an ironing board (not in the pic!) As well as a towel and some ice. It all seems a bit crazy doesn’t it? But they all serve their purpose and hopefully they’ll work for me. The arm is of course still giving me trouble, So I’m afraid it’s more long term than first thought, and after scouring the net for hours and hours and reading up on different forums about it, it’s one of those things that is difficult to treat if you’re doing a really physical sport. Needless to say that holding on to a motorbike and twisting a throttle on rough ground for over 3 hours with just a 30 second break in between on most Sundays is not quite the same as playing table tennis is it? Overall though it’s a lot better than it was but still quite a way off being ready to race.


It never rains but pours?
Yes believe it or not the last few months have been a total bleeding nightmare as regarding trying to get my fitness back on track. I tore my calf muscle whilst out running, so that put me back for about 4-6 weeks and then when that got better I decided it would be a good idea to go and tear the tendons just below the patella! (knee cap) Now that one really hurt, it was like being stabbed in the bloody knee with a hot piece of glass. I’m now back doing some light running so hopefully I can get some fitness built up ready for my return to racing!!!!!! (whenever that may be)


Plans?
If there’s one race I’d love to do again this year, it’s the dawn to dusk in August, but I know it would be pure insanity to go out and race 12 hours without even getting on a bike and doing some sort of practicing before hand. So, if I’m not racing by the end of July then it’s going to be a no no on that one. Weston beach race is another possibility later on in the year, just have to see how it goes.


Thanks to everyone who’s logged on to view my antics lately, see you all at the races!