Thursday 19 August 2010

Doctors today- 19th August 2010



So today was a big day for me with yet another chat with the doctor whom I saw 2 weeks ago when he told me to come back and think about the options he gave me. Basically I could have a ‘lateral release’ which free’s the offending tendon with surgery by cutting the damaged piece away, or have another cortisone injection and wait. Now I was tempted with the surgery, this relieves the pain, but my grip would never be the same on that arm and he made no bones about it when he said that I wouldn’t be able to ride competitively again. So it’s a no brainer really and I had no choice but to have another injection. Now then good stuff you might think? But………….trouble is with cortisone is that it is a very high dose of steroid which reduces inflammation, the bad part is it also masks pain and gives you a ‘false sense of security’ in a way. Last time I had one I thought I was superman and started picking and lifting things up to test my arm because I didn’t feel any pain which in turn means you’re still damaging the tendons underneath, so this time I think I might take it a bit easier and see what happens. I done a hell of a lot of research about the injury and spoke to people who’ve had the injections with results being about 50/50 on weather it works or not. Of course the operation has a huge percentage of success, but that’s no bloody good to me is it?


It all means that I still want be riding for another while yet and that’s a huge disappointment to me as I really wanted to do the ‘Dawn to dusk’ event again this year as I feel it owes me something as I was going so well last year until I had to pull out through getting injured. The last couple of months I’ve really put the training in hoping I could do the race, running 4-5 days a week up to 10 miles in 25 degree heat as well as exercising 5 nights a week doing some ‘core’ work. Never mind, always next year eh?


Next week is the ‘Dawn to dusk’ and I’ll be traveling with the lads from down here in Cornwall up to Wales to the event. There’s quite a few doing it so I’ll be there helping them all out and giving um a bit of support. Looking forward to that, a good weekend away and a good laugh